12. Country-specific support initiatives
Funded by the Swiss Development Agency and primarily focused on improving the social and economic performance of ASM in Mongolia. An addition to the programme in 2016 was the development of a global knowledge hub to share ASM best practices and lessons learned.
The three-year SDMR programme, funded by the UK Department for International Development, is tasked with facilitating the economic and environmentally sustainable growth of Rwanda’s mining sector – which is almost entirely comprised of ASM operations. It is the first reported attempt of applying market systems development (M4P approach) to the mining sector, a concept that is usually associated with agriculture and agribusiness. The programme’s objectives are to foster:
- A more professional, open and transparent mining sector.
- A more efficient and economically viable mining sector, in line with environmental best-practice.
- Increased level of private investment in the sector.
- Improved incomes of artisanal and small-scale miners.